That smile that got me into trouble again fills my life with others stories, that I am grateful for. I was parking in an underground car park, where the car I parked behind, was standing an elderly gentleman, getting ready to roll his own. I don’t know that that was a smart thing to do, light up in an underground car park. For no other reason than it feels wrong. He reminded me very much of my father, so I gave a little smile, took a swig out of my drink bottle, got out of the car, and there he was ready for a chat.
He started of by saying ‘you shouldn’t drink whisky and drive’ I had a chuckle and said ‘I promise it’s only water’.
Then he proceeded to ask what I did for a living, he had quite a strong foreign accent so was a little hard to understand, I had to say pardon, a few times. He would chuckle and repeat himself, I would nod and we would carry on chatting. I tell you there was no escaping, I had no where to go, not that I minded. I love talking to the older generation, they have so much they want to share, just want someone to listen. Which I am more than happy to do.
My favourite subject at school was visiting the nursing home and spending time with the inmates.
He told me his daughter who is now 50 was a psychologist and also was now training and presenting workshops.
He said I bet some trainees give you the shits don’t they. I nodded and said sometimes. I can’t for the life of me remember what his son did, I think Architecture.
He then proceeded to tell me a joke, which later while training my trainee on discrimination, I realised yet again that the joke would be or should be seen to be appropriate to this generation, but here goes.
- An old blind man needed help crossing the road
- A young man came to assist him
- The old man thanked the young man for helping him
- And asked the young man that since he was blind and didn’t know what he looked like
- He asked was he presentable, for going out and about in town
- The young man smiled and said, yes, you present very well
- The old man asked is there anything you think I should change
- The young man said ‘well there is just one thing’
- What is that young man
- Drop the Irish accent as you are black!!!